Wulf G, Shea C, Lewthwaite R. Motor skill learning and performance: A review of influential factors. Med. Educ. 2010;44(1):75-84.
Wulf G. Attentional focus and motor learning: A review of 15 years. Int Rev Sport Exerc Psychol. 2013;6(1):77-104.
Wulf G. An external focus of attention is a conditio sine qua non for athletes: a response to Carson, Collins, and Toner (2015). J Sport Sci. 2016;34(13):1293-5.
Lohse KR, Sherwood DE, Healy AF. How changing the focus of attention affects performance, kinematics, and electromyography in dart throwing. Hum Movement Sci. 2010;29(4):542-55.
Raisbeck LD, Diekfuss JA. Verbal cues and attentional focus: A simulated target-shooting experiment. J Mot Learn Dev. 2017;5(1):148-59.
Kal E, Van der Kamp J, Houdijk H. External attentional focus enhances movement automatization: A comprehensive test of the constrained action hypothesis. Hum Movement Sci. 2013;32(4):527-39.
Wulf G, Su J. An external focus of attention enhances golf shot accuracy in beginners and experts. Res Q Exercise Sport. 2007;78(4):384-9.
Wulf G, McConnel N, Gärtner M, Schwarz A. Enhancing the learning of sport skills through external-focus feedback. J Mot Behav. 2002;34(2):171-82.
Prinz W. A common coding approach to perception and action. In: Neumann O, Prinz W. (Eds.). Relationships between perception and action. Berlin: Springer; 1990. p. 167-201.
10. Wulf G, McNevin N, Shea CH. The automaticity of complex motor skill learning as a function of attentional focus. Q J Exp Psychol, Section A. 2001;54(4):1143-54.
11. Lohse KR, Sherwood DE. Thinking about muscles: The neuromuscular effects of attentional focus on accuracy and fatigue. Acta Psychol. 2012;140(3):236-45.
12. Magill RA. Augmented feedback in motor skill acquisition. In: Singer RN, Hausenblas HA, Janelle CM. Handbook of sport psychology. New York: Wiley & Sons; 2001. p. 86-114.
13. Abdoli B, Farokhi A, Shamsipour Dehkordi P, Shams A. Effects of internal and external focus of attention via feedback and instruction on the learning of dynamic balance. Mot Behav. 2012;11:63-80. (In Persian).
14. Pahlevan Yali M, Shahbazi M, Aghapour Hasiri SM, Tahmasebi Boroujeni Sh, Shamsi Majelan A. The effect type of attentional focus and the frequency of feedback on explicit knowledge and the learning of basketball free throwing. Mot Behav. 2019;11(35):85-102. (In Persian).
15. Diekfuss JA, Raisbeck LD. Focus of attention and instructional feedback from NCAA division 1 collegiate coaches. J Mot Learn Dev. 2016;4(2):262-73.
16. Porter J, Wu W, Partridge J. Focus of attention and verbal instructions: Strategies of elite track and field coaches and athletes. Exerc Sport Sci Rev. 2010;19(3-4):77-89.
17. Bernier M, Trottier C, Thienot E, Fournier J. An investigation of attentional foci and their temporal patterns: A naturalistic study in expert figure skaters. Sport Psychol. 2016;30(3):256-66.
18. Fairbrother JT, Post PG, Whalen SJ. Self-reported responses to player profile questions show consistency with the use of complex attentional strategies by expert horseshoe pitchers. Front. Psychol. 2016;7:1028.
19. Shusterman R. Body consciousness: A philosophy of mindfulness and somaesthetics. New York: Cambridge University Press; 2008. p. 125.
20. Toner J, Montero BG, Moran A. Considering the role of cognitive control in expert performance. Phenomenol Cog Sci. 2015;14(4):1127-44.
21. Toner J, Moran A. In praise of conscious awareness: A new framework for the investigation of “continuous improvement” in expert athletes. Front. Psychol. 2014;5:769. doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2014.5; 769.
22. Toner J, Moran A. Enhancing performance proficiency at the expert level: Considering the role of ‘somaesthetic awareness’. Psychol Sport Exerc. 2015;16,110-7.
23. Schmidt R, Lee T. Motor learning and performance, 5E with web study guide: From principles to application. Champaign: Human Kinetics; 2013. p. 301.
24. Wulf G, Lewthwaite R. Optimizing performance through intrinsic motivation and attention for learning: The OPTIMAL theory of motor learning. Psychon Bull Rev. 2016;23(5):1382-414.
25. Mann DT, Williams AM, Ward P, Janelle CM. Perceptual-cognitive expertise in sport: A meta-analysis. J Sport Exerc Psychol. 2007;29(4):457-78.
26. Williams AM, Ford PR. Expertise and expert performance in sport. Rev Sport Exerc Psychol. 2008;1(1):4-18.
27. Cohn PJ. An exploratory study on peak performance in golf. Sport psychol. 1991;5(1):1-14.
28. Anderson R, Hanrahan SJ, Mallett CJ. Investigating the optimal psychological state for peak performance in Australian elite athletes. J. Appl. Sport Psychol. 2014;26(3):318-33.
29. Nyberg G. Developing a ‘somatic velocimeter’: the practical knowledge of free skiers. Qual. Res. Sport Exerc. 2015;7(4):488-503.
30. Collins D, Carson HJ, Toner J. Letter to the editor concerning the article “Performance of gymnastics skill benefits from an external focus of attention” by Abdollahipour, Wulf, Psotta & Nieto (2015). J. Sports Sci. 2016;34(13):1288-92.
31. Bahmani M, Bahram A, Diekfuss JA, Arsham S. An expert’s mind in action: Assessing attentional focus, workload and performance in a dynamic, naturalistic environment. J. Sports Sci. 2019; 37(20):2318-30.